Tuesday, November 20, 2012

If Possible, Even the Very Elect Shall be Deceived

Hm, it has been a while since I've been here. Anyway, onward.

I'm at a college library and don't have my scriptures. I apologize for any inconvenience.

There is a scripture in the New Testament that says, "If possible, even the very elect shall be deceived." Joseph Smith added, "who are the elect according to the covenant."

I have heard/read many people say "even the very elect will be deceived," which is not true. Apparently, it is not possible for this group to be deceived. But, why?

I think the answer lies in what Joseph was inspired to add. Then we are left with the question, "What is the covenant?"

Is it baptism into the LDS church? Temple covenants?

I submit a thought that has been going through my head lately:

"The elect according to the covenant of eternal life Jesus made while standing face to face with said person, speaking to him or her as one person speaks to another." I submit that these are the only ones who cannot be deceived, because they have a knowledge of the truth. Not faith masquerading as knowledge. Not belief, superstition, or traditions of one's fathers, but actual and true knowledge.

Yet another reason to seek the literal face of our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this powerful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I don't feel the thought was my own, but I felt it was important to share.

    ReplyDelete

Comments for this blog are moderated. It may take a few days for you to see your comment.