Thursday, September 1, 2011

Denver Snuffer

I think people are becoming aware of a man named Denver Snuffer (in fact, I referenced him in this blog a time or two). Some people may be wondering about him, wondering what people think of him and his books. Having read five of his books at least once, I think I probably qualify to mention a little.

I do not know him personally. I have never seen him in person, nor have I ever spoken to him. My knowledge comes solely through this books and his website. I also want to note that I am not writing this to push his books. I am writing this because I prayed, asking God what I should write about today, and this post is the answer I got (and all errors and humanness in this post are my own doing – if anything in here helps someone, it because of the power of the Spirit, not because I am a great orator of any kind).

I have seen several responses to him.

Some seem to revere him; they are his following, and they hang on every word (1), even though he has said many times that he seeks no following, that he is only a man and a very imperfect one at that. He wants no fans. He reiterates that he is not in the hierarchy of the church. He wants people to look beyond him and see Christ.

Some look to him as a man who is speaking the words Christ told him to speak, a warning that we are about to be destroyed if we don't repent, that the Book of Mormon is a warning to the members of the LDS church, not the nonmembers.  He not only warns that we aren't taking the Book of Mormon seriously, he shows us how to take it seriously: he opens up the scriptures to us.

Others view him as an apostate because of some of the things he has said about the LDS church and its leaders (for those who don't know, those leaders range from things like elders' quorum president up through the hierarchy to first presidency). Mainly, what he says is that all of these men are simply men. None of them are infallible. All of them have the potential to teach the wrong things because they are human, so it behooves us to be close to the Spirit ourselves so that we can discern when their words are of God, and when they are speaking their own opinions. We are to pray for our leaders, not condemn them. Still, there are many who view him as apostate.

So, I want to add my own opinion here, for those who might be wondering the opinion of someone who has read some of his books.

First, a scripture, a vital scripture. It shows us plainly how to judge whether something is from God or from the devil. Moroni 7:12-14 in the Book of Mormon: “Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually. But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God. Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.” That's the yardstick. That's the measuring tool. Does it bring us to God? Does it entice us to do good?

It is my opinion that if you have any love for Christ at all, the chapter in Come, Let Us Adore Him called Gethsemane will bring you to your knees. It did for me. Not only that, but it opened up my heart to Christ more than my heart had ever been. I understood the mechanics of the Atonement better, and I gained a greater appreciation of how very difficult it was for Christ to go through. The power of the Atonement did a huge cleansing and healing in me during the first time I read that chapter.

The chapters called The Crucifixion and Resurrection brought me closer to Christ. There are powerful words in there. If anyone feels like they aren't getting enough spiritually, and they are members of the  LDS church (the books presuppose an understanding of basic LDS doctrines), these books should feed your souls. This reads like a book review, I know, but like I said, the only way I know this person is through his books.

I am still reading the books. I have read some of them two going on three times. Each time, I often stop because the desire to pray is overwhelming. Often, I have an overwhelming desire to prostrate myself in prayer, to repent, to desire more understanding, to come closer to my Father in Heaven and to Jesus Christ. I have gained spiritual strength. I have been able to change faster, being more patient and kind than I was before.

The gifts of the Spirit have been with me for many years, now, so I can't really say that I have seen a jump in those gifts, but the communication between God and myself is becoming less distracted. I am accepting my trials more meekly, being less prone to fight them and be angry that they are there.

So, from my experience with studying these books and trying to implement the advice, (2) I would say this is a man who is who he says he is, who is doing what he said he was told to do by the One who is the Head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – and that we ignore him or mock him at our eternal peril.

(1) D&C 76:98-101 - And the glory of the telestial is one, even as the glory of the stars is one; for as one star differs from another star in glory, even so differs one from another in glory in the telestial world; For these are they who are of Paul, and of Apollos, and of Cephas. These are they who say they are some of one and some of another—some of Christ and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch; But received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant.

(2) John 7:16-17 - Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

8 comments:

  1. Denver Snuffer's writings changed my life forever. I can never read the Book of Mormon the same any longer. I can never attend the temple the same way any longer. I have risen to a higher level of spirituality than I ever thought possible.His only goal is to bring others closer to Christ. He has succeeded in helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Scott.

    When one's eyes are opened, it changes things drastically, doesn't it?

    I had reached a point where it didn't seem like the Book of Mormon had anything new to give me. when I read Brother Snuffer's comments on different verses in the Book of Mormon, I realized that some of what I thought it had said (but had rejected because I wasn't taught that at church) was true. And I learned how to really study the book. Now, I get so much out of it that I use a spiral notebook to write my thoughts and understanding in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni,

    Your remarks reflect many of my thoughts and feelings about Denver and the Book of Mormon. He has given me hope that I, too, may find God.

    Thanks, Steve

    P.S. I found your blog through Bing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your reply Steve.

    I continue to learn and grow. My faith that what Denver says applies to me, as well as to anyone else, has grown by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DENVER TEACHES THE TRUTH. We are all supposed to come unto Christ just as he has, like Abraham, Jacob, Joseph Smith and others

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, Anonymous. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read all of Snuffer's eight books. I am working on my second read on some of them. He is the real deal in my opinion. His writings make me realize how ignorant and disobedient I am. He is taking me to a whole new level of desire and faith and obedience. I view "Removing the Condemnation" as one of the greatest books I have ever read--and that coming from one who has seriously studied the Book of Mormon for a long time. Snuffer points out things that I have missed because I suppose I am one of those "Proud Descendants of Nauvoo" and have tunnel vision about what constitutes "true doctrine." Denver Snuffer will take the obedient to a new level of gospel activity. For those reading this blog, you may also be interested in reading books by Douglas H. Mendenhall including his fascinating book "Conquering Spiritual Evil."

    ReplyDelete
  8. "He is the real deal in my opinion."

    Absolutely, he is.

    Most of my ancestors hail from Nauvoo, as well. But I am not offended at his description (and it seems you are not offended either, Bill); instead, I am grateful to be waking up. I crave waking up. I want the truth, even if it goes against everything I have ever been taught.

    I've not heard of that book; I'm sure there are those reading this thread who are appreciative of you bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete

Comments for this blog are moderated. It may take a few days for you to see your comment.