Sunday, March 22, 2015

New Hymn - Oh Lord, My God


I wrote this song this morning. The tune is a Swedish folk melody, the same one we use when we sing, "How Great Thou Art." Obviously, one can see parts of that leaking through.



How this song came about: For the last few weeks, I would spontaneously sing, "Oh, Lord, my God," then stop - because what was in my heart was a plea for forgiveness, a desire to come into the Lord's presence, to stop all the sins "that so easily beset me." This morning, I decided to sit down with pencil and paper and write the song that was trying to burst through. The following is the result.



Oh Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the pains thy soul has seen.
I see the wounds, I hear the Lord's great sobbing
And shrink to watch the scene before my eyes.

Chorus:
Then cries my soul, "Oh, Lord, forgive my sins!
I will forgive! I will forgive."
Then bids my Lord, "My young one, come to me.
As you have loved, you will be loved."*

And through the night when I in fearful tremor
Consider the great sacrifice divine,
My soul does shrink. I see my sins in glory**
And wish to God I could erase them all.

Chorus:
Then cries my soul, "Oh, Lord, forgive my sins!
I will forgive! I will forgive."
Then bids my Lord, "My young one, come to me.
As you have loved, you will be loved."*

And then I see His deepest love divine
As he removes the guilt from off my heart.
I hear His words. I know His deepest pain.
His words to me, "My son, please come to me."  *** 


Chorus:
Then cries my soul, "Oh, Lord, forgive my sins!
I will forgive! I will forgive."
Then bids my Lord, "My young one, come to me.
As you have loved, you will be loved."*

(Written by Toni Bate, March 22, 2015)





*This is a reference to charity as written by Moroni:
[quote]43  And again, behold I say unto you that he cannot have faith and hope, save he shall be meek, and lowly of heart.

44  If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.

45  And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

46  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth.  Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
47  But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure.  Amen.

Moroni 7[/quote]

**Seeing ourselves in God's glory shows us how imperfect and filthy we really are.


***(Daughter didn't fit. Child seemed awkward.)

Note: Anyone can sing this song, copying it for that purpose is permitted. This is the Lord's song, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments for this blog are moderated. It may take a few days for you to see your comment.